Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC made their selections
NEW YORK (Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2010) – Major League Soccer held its 2010 Expansion Draft today for the Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC, who begin MLS play in 2011. Each team selected 10 players from among nearly 200 available players unprotected by Major League Soccer clubs.
Four teams did not have a player selected: Houston Dynamo, LA Galaxy, New England Revolution, and New York Red Bulls. Eight teams had two players selected, while four teams had just one player taken in the Expansion Draft.
Below is a complete list of players selected in this year’s draft.
2010 MLS Expansion Draft Selections
(listed in order of selection)
|Pick||Selcted by||Player||Position||Former Club|
|1||Portland||Dax McCarty||Midfielder||FC Dallas|
|2||Vancouver||Sanna Nyassi||Midfielder||Seattle Sounders FC|
|3||Portland||Eric Brunner||Defender||Columbus Crew|
|4||Vancouver||Atiba Harris||Forward/Midfielder||FC Dallas|
|5||Portland||Adam Moffat||Midfielder||Columbus Crew|
|6||Vancouver||Nathan Sturgis||Defender||Seattle Sounders FC|
|7||Portland||Anthony Wallace||Defender/Midfielder||Colorado Rapids|
|8||Vancouver||Shea Salinas||Midfielder||Philadelphia Union|
|9||Portland||David Horst||Defender||Real Salt Lake|
|10||Vancouver||Alan Gordon||Forward||Chivas USA|
|11||Portland||Robbie Findley||Forward||Real Salt Lake|
|12||Vancouver||O’Brian White||Forward||Toronto FC|
|13||Portland||Peter Lowry||Midfielder||Chicago Fire|
|14||Vancouver||Alejandro Moreno||Forward||Philadelphia Union|
|15||Portland||Jonathan Bornstein||Defender||Chivas USA|
|16||Vancouver||Joe Cannon||Goalkeeper||San Jose Earthquakes|
|17||Portland||Jordan Graye||Defender||D.C. United|
|18||Vancouver||Jonathan Leathers||Defender||Sporting Kansas City|
|19||Portland||Arturo Alvarez||Forward/Midfielder||San Jose Earthquakes|
|20||Vancouver||John Thorrington||Midfielder||Chicago Fire|
Portland Timbers Expansion Draft Selections
(listed in alphabetical order)
|Arturo Alvarez||Forward/Midfielder||San Jose Earthquakes|
|Eric Brunner||Defender||Columbus Crew|
|Jonathan Bornstein||Defender||Chivas USA|
|Robbie Findley||Forward||Real Salt Lake|
|Jordan Graye||Defender||D.C. United|
|David Horst||Defender||Real Salt Lake|
|Peter Lowry||Midfielder||Chicago Fire|
|Dax McCarty||Midfielder||FC Dallas|
|Adam Moffat||Midfielder||Columbus Crew|
|Anthony Wallace||Defender/Midfielder||Colorado Rapids|
Vancouver Whitecaps FC Expansion Draft Selections
(listed in alphabetical order)
|Joe Cannon||Goalkeeper||San Jose Earthquakes|
|Alan Gordon||Forward||Chivas USA|
|Atiba Harris||Forward/Midfielder||FC Dallas|
|Jonathan Leathers||Defender||Sporting Kansas City|
|Alejandro Moreno||Forward||Philadelphia Union|
|Sanna Nyassi||Midfielder||Seattle Sounders FC|
|Shea Salinas||Midfielder||Philadelphia Union|
|Nathan Sturgis||Defender||Seattle Sounders FC|
|John Thorrington||Midfielder||Chicago Fire|
|O’Brian White||Forward||Toronto FC|
COMPLETE LIST OF AVAILABLE PLAYERS FOR THE 2010 EXPANSION DRAFT
Bornstein, Jonathan selected #8 by Portland Timbers
Gordon, Alan selected #5 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
Trujillo, Mariano – PULLED
Lowry, Peter selected #7 by Portland Timbers
Robinson, Dasan – PULLED
Thorrington, John selected #10 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
Wallace, Anthony selected #4 by Portland Timbers
Brunner, Eric selected #2 by Portland Timbers
Burns, Kevin – PULLED by the Crew
Moffat, Adam – selected #3 by Portland Timbers
Schelotto, Guillermo Barros
Harris, Atiba – selected #2 by Vancouver White Caps FC
Hernandez, Daniel – PULLED from draft by FC Dallas
McCarty, Dax – selected #1 by Portland Timbers
Graye, Jordan selected #9 by Portland Timbers
Morsink, Kurt – PULLED
Sporting Kansas City
Leathers, Jonathan selected #9 by Vancouver WhiteCaps
Da Silva, Leonardo
New England Revolution
New York Red Bulls
Angel, Juan Pablo
da Luz, Austin
Moreno, Alejandro selected #7 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
Salinas, Shea selected #4 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
Seitz, Chris – PULLED back
Real Salt Lake
Findley, Robbie selected #6 by Portland Timbers
Horst, David selected #5 by Portland Timbers
San Jose Earthquakes
Alvarez, Arturo selected #10 by Portland Timbers
Cannon, Joe selected #8 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
Ward, Tim – PULLED
Seattle Sounders FC
Nyassi, Sanna – selected #1 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
Sturgis, Nathan selected #3 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
de Guzman, Julian
Martinez, Miguel Angel Ferrer
White, O’Brian – selected #6 by Vancouver WhiteCaps FC
Expansion Draft Rules (as provided by MLS Communications Department):
• MLS Clubs may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster. If the Player’s contract expires at the end of 2010, he will still be considered part of the Club’s Senior Roster.
• If a Club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.
• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his Club will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.
• Players on a Club’s Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2010 MLS Season or Home Grown Players on a Club’s developmental roster, will be part of the expansion draft.
• Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2010 MLS Season and Home Grown Players on a Club’s developmental roster at the end of the 2010 MLS Season are automatically protected (Clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them).
• If Vancouver/Portland select a Developmental Player, it must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on the Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.
• Clubs are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus three, provided that if a Club has three or fewer international players it may make available not more than one.
• For purposes of this expansion process,
For US-based Clubs — any non-domestic US player (players that do not hold U.S. Citizenship or Residency) will count as an International.
For Toronto FC — any non-domestic US player or non-domestic Canadian players (players that do not hold Canadian OR U.S. Citizenship or Residency) will count as an International.
• Designated players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., Clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected.
• Maximum Player Loss: Once two (2) players have been claimed from a Club’s non-protected roster, that Club is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players. In addition, once a player has been claimed from a Club’s non-protected roster, that Club may move a player from its non-protected roster to its protected roster.
• Right to Negotiate: Vancouver and Portland will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player’s salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Club a right of first refusal.
• Priority: On the first day of the Discovery/Allocation Period, each of Vancouver and Portland will have priority over players on its USL roster and one additional player in the USL not on its roster, subject to another MLS Club’s right of first refusal.
• Rounds: The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.
A complete list of the Expansion Draft rules can be found on the Expansion Draft Page of MLSsoccer.com.
How strong team can you build, based on unprotected players ? welcome your comments below
Powered by Facebook Comments