Across the Academy is a weekly summary of news related to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, highlighting Academy clubs, current and former players, youth national team activity and media coverage of the Academy. Across the Academy will be available for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
U-20 MNT Opens Marbella Cup:
The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team fell to Canada 2-1 on Wednesday in an international friendly at the
2012 Marbella Cup in Spain. Next up for the USA is a match against Scotland on Friday, followed by Azerbaijan on Tuesday, Oct. 16.
U-17 MNT Looks Ahead to Argentina:
The U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team earned second place at the 2012 AGS Cup in Spain this past weekend following a 1-1 draw against Mexico.
Rubio Rubin of the Portland Timbers Academy scored the second-half equalizer against Mexico. The U-17 squad is back in action from Oct. 18-29 in Argentina
for a four-team tournament and a pair of international friendlies. The U.S. roster and schedule will be announced at a later date.
New England Revolution Academy Starts Season:
The New England Revolution U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams are the final sides to open their 2012-13 season this weekend. The Revolution heads to Garden
City, N.Y., to face Albertson SC on Saturday. Albertson’s U-15/16 team (3-1-0) won its first three games of the season and trails only the New York Red
Bulls (4-0-0, 12 points) in the Northeast Division standings.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- San Diego Surf’s U-15/16 team began the 2012-13 season with a pair of shutout victories and Bryce Flores scored four of his team’s eight goals over the
weekend. Three came during a 6-0 win against Cal Odyssey last Saturday, and he added a goal as San Diego topped the San Jose Earthquakes 2-0 on Sunday.
- The De Anza Force U-15/16 team became one of two teams in the Academy to improve to 5-0-0 this season (the other being D.C. United’s U-15/16s) with 2-1
victories against Strikers FC and Pateadores. Pateadores had a late 1-0 lead on Christopher Costantini’s goal, but Marco Neves came through in the clutch
for De Anza Force with goals in the 77th and 80th minutes to capture the win in the game’s waning moments.
- Local rivals Sockers FC and Chicago Fire Academy played to 1-1 draws at both age levels last Saturday in their local derbies. The Chicago Fire U-17/18
team looked like it was on the verge of a 1-0 win on Jeffrey Farina’s 30th-minute goal, but Sockers FC’s Simon Megally tallied an equalizer four minutes
into second-half stoppage time to salvage a point. The Chicago Fire and Sockers FC U-17/18 teams are both 3-0-1 in the Mid-America Division. The Sockers
U-15/16 team also had to come from behind as John Freitag tied the score at 1-1 in the 66th minute to respond to Luca Giovine’s goal for the Fire.
- In a match between MLS-affiliated Academy teams, visiting FC Dallas posted victories at both age groups against the Houston Dynamo last Saturday. Bobby
Edet’s two goals led the FC Dallas U-17/18 team to a 3-0 victory. For the U-15/16 matchup, FC Dallas’ Aaron Meyer and Santiago Agudelo each had two goals
for a 4-2 win. Dynamo midfielder Christian Lucatero had both goals for Houston.
- Orlando City’s U-15/16 team defeated Charlotte Soccer Academy 6-4 on Sunday to move to 2-0-0 in its first season with the Academy. Dennis Zapata and
Gorka Aperribay had two goals apiece for Orlando City, and Aperribay’s 72nd-minute goal proved to be the winner.
- The New York Red Bulls swept Albertson SC last Saturday as both age groups stayed unbeaten this season. The Red Bulls U-15/16 team’s Harrison Steadman
and Derrick Etienne each had two goals for a 6-2 win to improve to 4-0-0 this season. Ismar Tandir’s 48th-minute goal held up for a 1-0 victory as the Red
Bulls U-17/18 team moved to 3-0-1 atop the Northeast Division.
Week 5 Player of the Week: Joe Gallardo, Forward, Nomads SC
Joe Gallardo scored three goals in two games as Nomads SC’s U-15/16 team played to a 2-2 draw against Cal Odyssey last Sunday and fell to the San Jose
Earthquakes 3-1 the previous day. Gallardo, who is playing up, scored two goals in the opening 30 minutes of the team’s draw against Cal Odyssey. He was a
member of the U.S. U-14 Boys’ National Team pool and has recently been invited to the U-15 National Team.
OTHER ACADEMY NEWS AND NOTES:
Portland Timbers Academy Making Immediate Impact in First Season:
The Portland Timbers, participating in their first season in the Development Academy, are seeing everything come to fruition in the early months of
2012-13. The Timbers U-15/16 team is off to an unbeaten start at 3-0-2, and
Timbers Academy co-director Mike Smith talks to ussoccer.com about the legwork of its program.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- FC Dallas Sweeps In-State Rival Houston Dynamo – Top Drawer Soccer
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams Post 1-1 Draws – chicago-fire.com
- D.C. United’s U-17/18s Win Decisively Against Richmond Kickers – dcunited.com
- D.C. United U-15/16s Improve to 5-0 on Season – dcunited.com
- Houston Dynamo’s Lucatero Scores Twice for U-15/16s – houstondynamo.com
- Sounders Academy Squads Cruise Against SoCal – soundersfc.com
- Video: Getting to Know Revolution Midfielder Kelyn Rowe (Crossfire Premier) – revolutionsoccer.net
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON: